Great Reads brings you book reviews on teen books that parents will love from such great young adult authors as Garth Nix, Clare Dunkle, DJ Machale, Stephanie Meyer and many more.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Odd Thomas: Dean Koontz

I am a huge Dean Koontz fan. Ever since I discovered "Lightning" in our local A & P (yes...it was back many a year). "Lightning" is not without its flaws, mostly due to the time travelling issue, but it has a happy ending. In fact most of Koontz's books have happy endings, at least in the sense that the main characters we expect to make it, do.

And so that brings me to "Odd Thomas". I really loved the character of Odd. He's a sweetheart with an unusual talent- he can see the dead. They don't talk...or at least he can't hear them, but he's able to figure out what they want. The only other people who know his secret are the police chief and his girlfriend Stormy. Odd also sees strange shadow creatures he calls Bodachs. They swarm around those in pain and are a harbinger of violence. When he sees the bodachs swarming around this one individual in particular, Odd can't ignore the feeling that something terrible is about to happen.

Odd struggles to figure out what that is and prevent it from happening. But, as it turns out, there are some things in life that are meant to be. The ending of "Odd Thomas" is heartwrenching, and I was NOT happy with Kootnz for the longest time. I felt betrayed by the securty in his endings I had come to know over 30 plus novels. I did read the follow up novel, "Forever Odd", because I cared that much about the character. Now, a third Odd Thomas novel is out on the "newsstands" so to speak. "Brother Odd" came out in hardcover on Nov. 28th. And I can't wait :).

No comments: