Great Reads brings you book reviews on teen books that parents will love from such great young adult authors as Garth Nix, Clare Dunkle, DJ Machale, Stephanie Meyer and many more.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

"Twilight" and "New Moon" by Stephenie Meyer


I saw "Twilight" in the bookstores for over a year before I bought it. I'm not sure why I held off- I love "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and the whole forbidden love thing. I finally broke down and bought "Twilight" and read it so fast even I was amazed at how fast I read it (and I read FAST).

"Twilight" is the story of teen-age Isabella Swan who decides that its time to go live with her father after her mother decides to move to Florida. Bella isn't happy about the situation, but things change when she sees Edward Cullen for the first time. She can't understand his reaction to her (and for this, you'll have to visit www.stepheniemeyer.com and read Edward's version of the events of their meeting) but even though he seems determined to ignore her, he finds himself drawn to her anyway. Bella knows there is something different about him, only she doesn't realize how different he actually is. Edward is a vampire, and for reason unexplained in the first book, he is dangerously attracted to Bella. Her scent nearly drives him to kill- something he's sworn never to do. Edward and his "family" live among humans and have vowed not to kill or drink blood from humans. Eventually Edward is able to control himself, but the control is tenuous. As he and Bella begin a relationship, they fall desperately in love with each other, but as he is immortal and she's human it's not easygoing by any means. The sexual tension between the two puts today's romance writers to shame. The only word I can think of to describe it- delicious.

"New Moon" is the continuation of their story, and is every bit as good as the first novel. Edward is not in the sequel quite as much as the first, but you'll have to read to find out why.

No comments: