Great Reads brings you book reviews on teen books that parents will love from such great young adult authors as Garth Nix, Clare Dunkle, DJ Machale, Stephanie Meyer and many more.

Monday, November 30, 2009

Shadowland: The Immortals by Alyson Noel


After the devastating ending of Blue Moon, Ever finally tells Damen about the curse that now separates them. Desperate to find a cure, Ever confronts Roman who poses a riddle of sorts that she must solve. Ever also meets Jude, a surfer with mysterious gifts of his own that Ever feels drawn to, despite her love for Damen. Who is this mysterious Jude and what does Roman really want? I can't say too much about the plot as I don't want to spoil it. I will say that I found this book, up until the end anyway, better than book two. In YA romances, the characters are typically nearly perfect (thinking good old Bella and Edward here), but these characters aren't. They're flawed, they make bad choices. And even though we know that Damen has been far from perfect, we learn a few surprising things about his character and past transgressions in this book and how he may have been altering Ever's true destiny all along. I find his character much more intriguing than Ever, who doesn't seem to be learning anything from her mistakes and doesn't listen to those around her. Ironically, she's trying to do the right thing, but it just continually blows up in her face.

I think fans of the series will enjoy this next installment, and the next book is due out in April 2010.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

I wasnt crazy about this series! I brought the first 3 but I think I'll it end it after this one.. It was starting to drag on . . but who knows :)