Great Reads brings you book reviews on teen books that parents will love from such great young adult authors as Garth Nix, Clare Dunkle, DJ Machale, Stephanie Meyer and many more.

Friday, November 30, 2007

15 of My Favorite Books, in No Particular Order

Because there aren't enough years to write reviews and read as much as I do, I thought I'd leave a list here of my favorite books-chime in if you've read them and maybe one day I'll get around to doing real reviews:

"What Dreams May Come" by Richard Matheson- because the ending soooooo beautiful and heartbreaking (different from the movie, though the movie does a great job visualizing heaven) and reminds me that I need to say thank you more often to those I love

"Bridge Across Forever" by Richard Bach- because it's about true love, and its metaphysical and cool

"Beauty" by Robin McKinley because I LOVE the "Beauty and the Beast" theme

"His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman- because I really want my own daemon

"Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum- this needs no reason, it's all about those magic slippers

"Alice in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll - "beware the jabberwock, my son"

"The Looking Glass Wars" by Frank Beddor and "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire, because they dared to reimagine classics and rock while doing it

"The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger because, again, it's true love at its best and the ending still makes me cry just thinking about it. Yep, there I go...'Niagara falls, Frankie Angel.'-"Scrooged"

"The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks, for pretty much the same reason as above

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold, because again, a beautiful remarkable ending

"Elsewhere" by Gabrielle Zevin, because she imagines a beautiful afterlife

"Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer, because teenage angst was never so yummy- or were vampires for that matter (except for "Angel" of course)

"Lightning" by Dean Kootnz, because "Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be, and sometimes, it fails."

"East" by Edith Pattou, because it gave me a new version of the "Beauty and the Beast" story that I wasn't familiar with ("East of the Sun, West of the Moon")


So, there's 15 great books. I'd have to sit in front of my shelves to remember the other great reads, but there's more lists to come. Chime in if you've read them, and I also offer up a challenge- find me an awesome book that I haven't read. I don't have any prizes to offer up, but you'll feel awesome for sharing your favorite.








Buy this book shop at our Amazon.com "Great Reads" bookstore.


No comments: